Applications for RFL Academy
Annual Community Leadership Program
(August – May)
Please review our application requirements or contact our office at any time for questions.
This application is for participation in the Roaring Fork Leadership’s Annual Program – The Academy, to see the current curriculum click here.
While participation in the Roaring Fork Leadership annual class program requires a substantial commitment in time and energy, graduates of our program tell us again and again that the skills and relationships they developed through their participation have transformed their lives. We hope you will consider this dynamic, transformative program. View testimonials from graduates.
For a list of our alumni, please go to Alumni.
Before applying, we recommend that you review our Class Expectations. The Class Expectations are the formal commitment participants make upon acceptance to the program.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What exactly is Roaring Fork Leadership?
A: We work with people who want to make a difference in the Roaring Fork Valley. We are a non-profit in our 30th year of operation.
Q: Who participates in Roaring Fork Leadership?
A: We have 800+ graduates, 80% of which still reside in the valley. Participants in Roaring Fork Leadership are from all sectors including government, education, large and small business, non-profit and health. They come from all communities in the Roaring Fork Valley, as well as residents of communities on the I -70 corridor.
Q: How do I apply for the Academy?
A: We run one RFL Academy per year, from late August through May. If you would like to review the application and requirements for the program, read on… If you are interested in our other programs – please check out RFL MasterMind, RFL Live, RFL Connect, RFL CoLab and RFL Spark.
Q: What is the timeline for RFL Academy’s selection?
A: The application period runs through May, each year. Brief interviews are held in June, and notices of our class selection are sent out in July. You must confirm your participation by August 1 with a deposit. Slots not taken are filled by our waiting list.
Q: What if I don’t get in?
A: Our goal is to unite a diverse group of individuals. Our class size limit is around 40, and this means that sometimes we must turn away some applicants. We do encourage re-applications and hope you will return if we can’t make it happen this year.
Q: Do I need to have an alumnus write my recommendation?
A: This is not required but if you know an alumnus, they tend to be the best people to write your recommendation because they understand the kind of experience our program provides.
Q: How much does it cost?
A: Tuition for the RFL Academy – Class of 2019 is $2,600. Your tuition covers about 60% of the total costs of the program. The remaining $2,000+ per person (40% of the cost) is an investment in you from the community. These additional funds come from corporate sponsorships, individual donations, and grants from local municipalities.
Q: What if I can’t afford this?
A: We do have financial aid earmarked every year for participants who need help with tuition. Financial aid applications are due August 1, after the class selection is made. No selection is made based on your ability to pay.
Application and Selection Process
The application and selection process strives to create a diverse representation of the Roaring Fork Valley community. Applications are open to any interested community member.
- Each application must include the completed application form and a completed letter of recommendation or nomination.
- Applicants who re-apply to the program are given special consideration.
- Scholarships are available.
- Tuition for the RFL Academy Class Program is $2,600. Monthly payment plans are available and are encouraged if a lump sum payment is not possible.
- Personal interviews are held during the month of June.
- Applicants are notified of selection by the third week of July.
To submit an application, please complete our online application, see the top of this page.
Participation in Roaring Fork Leadership’s Academy requires a substantial commitment in time and energy from each class member. The program meets generally from 8 am to 5 pm, usually 1 x per month, August/September – May. (The first two programs are multi-days.) Please consider carefully the following requirements.
- Inability to attend the opening retreat in August/September and the October session, will automatically eliminate a participant from continuing with the program.
- Participants who miss more than 2 sessions will be required to withdraw from the program. The integrity of the program requires that participants be present at all sessions to both learn the leadership skills and to develop personal relationships.
- Complete all reading and written assignments in a timely manner.
- Respect the confidential nature of the comments and discussion made during the program.
- Tuition is too be paid in full by September 1, unless by other arrangements have been made with the Executive Director.
Tuition for the RFL Academy Class of 2019 program is $2,600. After final selections are made, a $250 non-refundable deposit is due by August 1. The remaining tuition of $2,350 is due by September 1st. Monthly payment plan may be worked out. No refunds on the $2,300 balance will be made after September 1. We have a limited number of scholarship funds available and scholarship applications are due by August 1. Tuition can be paid by the applicant, their employer, by scholarship assistance, or by a combination of these three sources.